This village in the municipality of Lambi counts 254 inhabitants. It lies at 300 m above sea-level and is 34.5 km away from Rethymnon, on the road Kissos-Aktounta-Ardaktos-Drimiskos Kerame.
This old settlement is recorded in the Venetian censi of the 16th and 17th centuries, as well as in the Turkish and Egyptian censi.
In 1881, it is quoted among the villages of the municipality of Aghios Pnevmatos, with 337 inhabitants. In 1900, in the same municipality with 440 inhabitants. In 1920, Kerames is a municipality in its own right and has 516 inhabitants and as of 1928 it is quoted as the seat of the commune with the same name.
The village probably owes its name to the word Potter in Greek. A resident of the village, Konstantinos Spyridakis, founded an interesting folklore museum with a rich collection of coins, arms belonging to Cretan fighters and other works of art.